Posted On 16 Apr 2014
Nelson Mandela, former president of South Africa and Nobel Peace Prize winner, has died. During his long life, Mandela inspired many people!
- I detest racialism, because I regard it as a barbaric thing, whether it comes from a black man or a white man.
- If the United States of America or Britain is having elections, they don’t ask for observers from Africa or from Asia. But when we have elections, they want observers.
- Does anybody really think that they didn’t get what they had because they didn’t have the talent or the strength or the endurance or the commitment?
- If there are dreams about a beautiful South Africa, there are also roads that lead to their goal. Two of these roads could be named Goodness and Forgiveness.
- We can’t afford to be killing one another.
- Any man or institution that tries to rob me of my dignity will lose.
- To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.
- Courageous people do not fear forgiving, for the sake of peace.
- I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony and with equal opportunities.
- Intervention only works when the people concerned seem to be keen for peace.
- Leaders in all spheres who are living with HIV should be encouraged, not coerced, to lead by example and disclose their HIV status.
- I have retired, but if there’s anything that would kill me it is to wake up in the morning not knowing what to do.
- I should tie myself to no particular system of society other than of socialism.
- By ancestry, I was born to rule.
- Where globalization means, as it so often does, that the rich and powerful now have new means to further enrich and empower themselves at the cost of the poorer and weaker, we have a responsibility to protest in the name of universal freedom.
- If you are poor, you are not likely to live long.
- Communists have always played an active role in the fight by colonial countries for their freedom, because the short-term objects of Communism would always correspond with the long-term objects of freedom movements.
- I started to make a study of the art of war and revolution and, whilst abroad, underwent a course in military training. If there was to be guerrilla warfare, I wanted to be able to stand and fight with my people and to share the hazards of war with them.
- Let us give publicity to H.I.V./AIDS and not hide it, because the only way to make it appear like a normal illness like TB, like cancer, is always to come out and say somebody has died because of H.I.V./AIDS, and people will stop regarding it as something extraordinary.
- There are many people in South Africa who are rich and who can share those riches with those not so fortunate who have not been able to conquer poverty.
- There are many people who feel that it is useless and futile to continue talking about peace and non-violence against a government whose only reply is savage attacks on an unarmed and defenceless people.